-
November 10th, 2002, 10:33 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I was wondering if I had a crystal synced camera and a crystal synced recorder, and a micro resolver is there a good computer program that I could actually edit my film and sync up my sound on? Of course with telecine first. Is one of the super 8ers on here still making those telecine machines, it's been a while since my last visit. So far I have found out that The Film Group dosen't stock thier crystal sync recorders anymore, you have to buy one and sent it to them for conversion, that sucks ass. Also that Wittner Kinotechnik stopped making the only sound film in the world, that also sucks a bunch of ass! Where have all the super 8ers gone long time passin'......
-
November 10th, 2002, 11:05 PM
#2
Inactive Member
The last sync method on my webpage would probably be cheaper:
http://www.super8mm.org/sound.html
-
November 12th, 2002, 02:32 PM
#3
Inactive Member
As long as the speed of the Xfer is solid then you should be able to get great results with Final Cut Pro.
Good Luck
-
November 12th, 2002, 09:17 PM
#4
Inactive Member
You don't need a resolver with a double crystal system. If you've got a crystal sync camera, all you need is a DAT player or MD player or CD-R, which are all crystal sync. machines. Then you can edit on any of the non-linear programs such as Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premier or even Apple's iMovie, free with any macintosh computer, and really really easy to use. This is my recommendation, in fact, to someone unaccustomed to editing.
Best wishes
Lucas
-
November 12th, 2002, 09:47 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Damn! I hear one thing and then I hear the other. I guess thats just how it is though. Lightfeat so you're telling me with xtal camera I don't need a xtal recorder I just need a minidisc player and a non linear editing program on my computer. So what do you have to do then slow down or speed the audio on the editing program. I don't understand one thing though. If I had a workprinter right, why would I need xtal camera? If I transferd frame by frame through the workprinter, wouldn't the frames run at a constant speed on the editing program in the computer, and of course recording on the audio on a minidisc player. I don't get it. Thanks for the help though.
-
November 12th, 2002, 11:32 PM
#6
Inactive Member
OK, I'll try and explain:
Your minidisc is going to give you a consistant speed, so that is fine, no problems there.
A super8 camera, although it says 24fps, will not give you that. Some are out by more than a frame a second, which is one thing. Another is that they waver. Transfering with a WP is a great idea, because it gives you exactly the right amount of frames per second, as though it too were crystal synced, unlike a noprmal projector, which usually suffers the same problems as Super8 cameras of being inconsistant and inaccurate.
So if, for example, you were to shoot on a middle priced super8 camera, it might give you a wavering speed, aproximately 23.458 frames per second, which would then be transfered at 24 dead on, from the WP, which would not sync up. What you need is to ensure that the camera is also dead on 24. If you use an x-tal, it's the next best thing to crystal sync., because it'll give you a fairly consistent but inaccurate speed. Some people have said that their Canon 1014XL-s cameras have lost or gained only one frame per cassette!! but this is not my experience. I have shot a whole film of a ticking clock and got about 15 frames of error, but it's fairly consistent, so could potentially be corrected by speeding or slowing the sound in post.
Pheww....
I hope that satisfies your question. If not, let me know.
Lucas
-
November 13th, 2002, 12:46 AM
#7
Inactive Member
x-tal and crystal sync are not the same thing? I thought they where. So you're saying just to get a good minidisc recorder, and a crystal synced camera. Sounds good. Thanks alot for the help YOU'RE THE SHITE!!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks